Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Labor Ready Test

Last night and most of today I underwent an extensive labor ready test. The exam had 2 purposes. First, to see if my uterus was ready to for labor and second, to see if the baby could withstand extended labor. Okay, so this is just what my doctor told me so that I wouldn't feel quite so bad. But Jon and I went into the hospital last night so that I could be induced. The baby was still high up and I was only dilated 1 cm. They started me on one thing to soften my cervix. After 9 hours, I was having about 8 contractions an hour and I hadn't dilated any further. So I was started on something else, in the hopes that I'd have harder contractions and the baby would drop, then the doctor could break my water. After 4 hours of this they came to the highest possible dosage that they could give me and the baby still had not dropped and I hadn't dilated either. I was having harder contractions, about every 2 minutes. But whenever I'd get up out of bed, then the contractions would practically stop. So, after being at the hospital for 14 hours, then we were sent home. The good news: The baby seems to handle the contractions just fine (passing part 2 of the test) and I hadn't received an epidural, which made the departure much easier. The sad news: Apparently my uterus is not ready/willing to depart with it's inhabitant and therefore no baby today. But I am glad that they were not able to break my water, because I may have ended in a possible C-Section if I hadn't been able to have adequate contractions to help the baby out. So I guess that it's a blessing in disguise.

For those of you that don't know how I managed to convince my doctor to induce me 8 days early: I have randomly had some major back pain over the last 2 weeks. After determining that I did not have a UTI, they told me that the baby was laying on a nerve in my back and that there was nothing they could do to help me. My instructions were to take Tylenol, apply heat, and massage the area. The doctor decided that it would be in my best interest for the baby to come early to help this problem, but apparently the baby had other plans. So now we wait for another day!

So I guess that there is one more random fact about me: I've had a successful induction and a failed induction!

9 comments:

Laurie said...

Haha... Wow!! I think you're the first I've ever heard of that got sent home after being induced!

You poor thing!!! Good luck with tomorrow!!

Kelly M said...

Kristy- WOW! Yikes, I'm so sorry! That sounds horrible. You had to come home still pregnant- what a let down! I've been just assuming you had a new baby and we'd be hearing all about him soon. Darn it! Sounds like he's a kid that wants things his way, huh? :) Well, I hope things improve over the next week. . . especially the darn mysterious back pain. Good luck!

Heather said...

I was wondering how you posted a comment on my blog when you were supposed to be having a baby. I am so sorry how things worked out this time-huge let down. I hope your little guy comes soon and that all goes well.

Lisa said...

I'm so excited for you. Your totally about to have a baby.

That's a crazy story. Very anti-climatic for you. You thought you were going leave with a baby in your arms.

This is going to be a stubborn one. Good Luck over the next two+ years.

Tanya Leigh said...

Well, well, WELL! Induction's really not all it's cracked up to be anyway ;) I just hope your back pain stops, poor thing! Well, I'll be prayin for a swift labor once this bad boy decides he's ready to make his appearance ;) Good luck!

Robin said...

You have a positive attitude. I would be so upset after expecting to have the baby! I am glad that everything is going well though, that you didn't have to end up getting a C-Section. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Stephanie said...

Oh wow Kristy i'm so sorry, I also just assumed you already had him and kept checking your blog for an update! Hang in there and Good Luck

Melanie said...

Inductions starting from nothing can really be hard and long!! We tell our pt's it can take 3 days. I'm surprised the dr.'s let you go after only 14 hours! Where I work they would probably keep someone AT LEAST 24 hours before deciding to send them home. Talk about miserable! Hope it works better the next try!! I'm going to try to talk my dr. into inducing me 1-2 weeks early since we'll be moving only 1 1/2 wks after the due date. Hope it works!!

elizabeth said...

Oh, I'm sorry there is no baby yet. I was really hoping you would be home from the hospital by now and be posting pictures. Well, good luck with everything and I hope it all happens soon.