Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What's in a name?

Spencer thinks that his name is Dude. Jon always calls him "Little Dude." And now Spence thinks that's his name. He doesn't say very many words, but here's how our conversation usually goes:

Me: Spencer can you say Dad?
Spencer: Dada (sometimes it's Dad or Dado)
Me: Can you say Mom?
Spence: Mama (sometimes it's Mom)
M: Can you say Savannah?
S: Nana
M: Can you say Melanie?
S: Mel
M: Can you say Spencer?
S: Dude!

Okay, he can't quite say Spencer or Spence, so we'll just settle for Dude for now. And now that we've shown this little conversation to a few people, he knows that it's funny and enjoys giving people a little laugh.

He also uses dude to distinguish between boys and girls. So you are either "a girl" or a "dude" and for some lucky people, they're categorized as monkeys, or "hoo hoo" as Spencer calls them. He usually calls himself a monkey; I guess that he's a Dude Monkey. I usually just call him a naughty monkey.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That's cute! He's a funny kid!!!

Kim and Adam said...

Too funny! I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. I should just give you a call sometime. Hope things are good, sounds like your life is busy with your little Dude Monkey!

You should stop by next time you are in the neighborhood. I see on your pregnancy counter that you are near the end. I am sure you are ready to be done.

Lisa said...

That's so funny. I love the word dude. You just feel relaxed when using it.

Cassandra said...

LOL! That cracks me up!