What do you say to one of your kids, when they make a choice that they later realize was not what they really wanted?
Yesterday, Jon and I were going to a wedding. I knew that the ceremony would be short and sweet and it would okay if the girls wanted to tag along. So we gave them the choice and both Savannah and Melanie said that they wanted to go to the wedding. We all got dressed up and then drove over to Jon's parent's house to drop Spencer off. However, when we arrived at Grandma's house, Savannah suddenly decided that she wanted to stay there and play with her cousins. So Savannah and Spencer were left at Grandma's and Melanie got to be an only child for about an hour.
Jon and I came back to pick the kids up and Savannah was there in tears. She was so upset that she didn't go. Apparently she had changed her mind after we had left, but it was too late. So she was left behind. She was so upset. I tried to tell her that she was the one that had made the decision to not go and that it was not Jon or I's fault for her missing out. This only made her more upset. But it's a hard lesson to learn that it's your own fault when you make decisions that make you miss out on things. She still gave me a hard time this morning that we got to have cake and she didn't! Tough luck.
3 comments:
That's a hard one! Hopefully, Christmas will make her forget about it! :)
Oooo, the ones that sink in are always the toughest.
I STILL regret my choice of staying in the swimming pool rather than going FLYING in my uncle's AIRPLANE when he offered.
I was probably 9.
Tough luck, indeed. Thanks for sharing the story :)
That is such a hard lesson for them to learn at such a young age! When we were in Disney Land Kylee was crying and upset over soemthing. At this point I don't even remember, but it was when we were picking out Micky Mouse hats. She decided she didn't want one and was upset and crying. I told her she would not be able to pick one later. She didn't care and continued to cry for whatever reason behind not getting her hat. So, Todd got his and we finished the day. The next day we went back and she decided she was ready for her hat. We had to explain to her that the day before she made a decision to not get one and she didn't get another chance. She was upset again, but it was a lesson she had to learn. Hopefully it stuck. I don't know. But it was hard on her and me because I really wanted her to have her cute hat!
Post a Comment