Sunday, November 9, 2008

Civic Duty Week

This past week has certainly given me the opportunity to reflect on how I blessed I am to live in this country. Tuesday was Election Day and even though I had an Early Ballot, I didn't finish filling it out until Tuesday. I try to do my best to figure out what all of the propositions mean and the impact that they will have. I have to admit that I usually just ask Jon how he's voting and for the most part I agree with Jon's opinions and vote the same as him. But there are a few things that we have differing opinions on. I'm just glad that Jon's okay with it when we don't see eye to eye. But I took the girls for a walk and let them come with me to "Vote". We just walked down to the Jr. High and turned in my mail-in ballot. The polling people were really nice and gave both of the girls a "I Voted Today" sticker. Savannah was kind of disappointed that it was so quick, but I didn't dare try to vote while attempting to watch 3 kids. And I have to say that I was so relieved that Prop 102 passed and was pleasantly surprised when Prop 8 passed in California. It just really renews my beliefs that there are a lot of people out there with good values.

And then on Friday I got to go down to the City Municipal Court House for Jury Duty! Now, I was originally going to send my summons back saying that I couldn't go because I had a little baby. But Jon talked me into it; which he later admitted was a mistake. I get so nervous going to Jury Duty. I always feel uncertain that I won't know which side to believe or that I'll mess up some how. I'm not saying that these are valid fears, but they're concerns that I always seem to have. Anyways, I was pretty stressed about it on Thursday night and Friday morning. I was supposed to be at the court house at 7:45 am and so Jon ended up taking care of the kids, getting them fed and dressed and to Grandmas houses. But I got all checked-in in the Jury Room and surprisingly out of the other 22 jurors, there was a girl there that I actually knew. So we visited a little bit while we waited. Then we had a judge come in and talk to us about how important of a job we had. He actually went on and on and on! I think that he was just trying to pass the time. Honestly, he spoke to us for about 30 minutes! My favorite part was when he explained that they value their jurors time and try really hard to not waste it! Finally a girl came in and told him something, so he finished his story and told us thank you for coming and that we were all free to go! All that stress, worrying about what I was going to tell them to get out of Jury Duty, and then all of us get released. I was all done and it wasn't even 9:00 yet! So, I guess that I performed my civic duty and allowed someone the opportunity to have a jury trial, but then they settled at the last minute and didn't even need us. I just hope that it gets me off for a little while now.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Ooh, yeah. I've always had an excuse to get out of jury duty... Maybe when I'm old and the kids are gone, I MIGHT enjoy it... But not right now!!

Kerrie said...

I hope that when my time comes i'll have an excuse. I would worry that i'd pick the wrong side! I don't have the greatest understanding of politics.

Melanie said...

That's nice you got out of jury duty! I've never been summoned for jury duty.....not looking forward to my time.

Michelle Johnston said...

I had to go to Jury right before we moved from AZ. Then, about two months ago, I was sent another Jury summon here! In Kansas! silly people.

Tanya Leigh said...

What luck! I don't think people with real opinions/morals get picked anyway. They only want people who can't think for themselves. It's pretty lame. :P